Tuesday, August 1, 2017

This Time It Wasn't Fucking Magic, It Was Mechanical

When I bought my truck over a year and a half ago the cruise control didn't work. For over a year (can't count the almost 6 months of playing Snowbird) I have been trying to figure out what the problem was. First check was the fuses, one under the dash and one under the hood. Actually there's two under the hood after the recall on the cruise was done. Anywho, all the fuses were good . The switch on the brake master cylinder was good.

Googled the problem and got a number of causes including a bad brake light bulb or third light bulb?? All the brake lights worked so that wasn't the problem. The third light didn't have a bulb, but after I replaced it the cruise still didn't work. Then I found how to do a diagnostic on the system using the buttons on the steering wheel. The first diagnostic procedure I found didn't give the codes and what they mean. I thought when I hit the last button the one flash was for that button and one more flash meant the system was good. Then I found another site that gave the error codes and two flashes meant the clutch switch, brake switch or one other problem.

The one on the left is the old switch and the one on the right is the new one.

When I took the clutch switch apart I saw the springs were broke. The part that slides was not being pushed all the way back and was always in the position for canceling the cruise.

On a side note, a couple weeks ago I read an article about how auto parts stores will soon be history. The guy that wrote it had a dealership or something where they did repair work on cars. He said there was a huge markup on parts, altho as a business he got a better deal than the average person. After having had a number of problems with auto parts stores sending him the wrong part or having to wait a couple days he started checking out online parts places. The conclusion he came up with was if you can afford to wait a couple days it makes good sense to order your parts online.

Anywho, I checked the price online with Autozone and they wanted $90. At Amazon I could get a Motorcraft (Ford replacement parts) for $45 and found the one I order for under $25. I took a few days as it wasn't coming from Amazon, but the cruise hadn't worked since I bought the truck, so what's a few more days??

Also on prices, the check engine light is on the truck and I had Autozone check it and found out one of the O2 sensors is bad. Asked how much it cost and was told about $90. I checked Amazon and I can get one for under $20. Now I need to go see my neighbor and see if his code reader can figure out which one of the four O2 sensors is bad.

7 comments:

  1. I found a compressor for my a/c unit at amazon for 143.00..as apposed to the 1,000 quoted to me by mechanic..fark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It use to be so much more simple. I find I can't work on my vehicles any longer.
    the Ol'Buzzard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean, but I try and with the help of google and youtube I manage to sometimes be able to fix some problems. I also have a neighbor who is a very good mechanic and will give me advice on my vehicles and/or work on them.

      Delete
  3. I don't like to order parts online, pain in the ass if they send you the wrong one, but they are cheaper online. 4 O2 sensors? Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a V-6 with two catalytic converters and there are O2 sensors ahead and behind the cats. After the cat converters it goes into a single exhaust.

      Delete
    2. It takes a dealer level scan tool to pinpoint things like that.

      Delete
    3. My neighbor scanned it with his scanner and said it was one of the rear ones. I guess I could replace one and scan it again, if it still says one is bad then it would be the other one.

      Delete

No Anonymous comments,it's not that hard to think of a nom de plume.